Another Greenhouse

I have started another greenhouse. I think this is my fifth or sixth one. Some have been more successful than others, but I have learned something from every project. Most of them have been made out of found or recycled materials, too.

My first greenhouse was made out of something called Starplate connectors. You can use them with boards to make a dome-style shelter. This worked pretty well for a while, although the long, slim green houses seem to have more usable space. We bought them from the Stromberg’s Chicks and Game Birds Unlimited and they still sell them.

The next version of a greenhouse was a frame made from aspen saplings and straw bales covered with plastic. This was also pretty successful and I used it for three years before we took off the plastic and let it compost itself. The patch of blackberries that grew up where that greenhouse was produces berries that are an inch long or bigger.

img109

Then I began to experiment with hoop houses with varying amounts of success. None of them seemed to stand up to snow load very well. I thought I had it licked a couple of years ago when I used cattle panels with plastic over them, but two feet of wet snow one night flattened it to the ground.

Cattle panel hoop house

Cattle panel hoop house

After that I began making small hoop houses to protect plantings of greens, carrots and beets for the winter. These worked very well for that purpose, but I didn’t have anywhere to store my plants when it was too cold to put them in the garden yet. I hope I have finally solved the problem.

333111_1650054626929_1647958297_o

Today I began to put together a hoop house using PVC pipe that began life as color guard flag poles from the high school marching band. I have to wait until my next pay day to buy the connectors I will need, but I think this one will be strong enough, or at least I hope it will! It will have interior bracing along the hoops on both sides, so that should do the trick.

002

The Comfy Chair

I am finally finished with the cover for the Comfy Chair! This was one of those projects that are easy, but extremely time-consuming; however, I am definitely pleased with the results.

Everybody loves the Comfy Chair

Everybody loves the Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair is a piece of furniture that was given to us by Mini’s sister when she didn’t have room for it any more. It is, indeed, extremely comfortable, and everyone likes to sit there. Over the years, it became worn and dingy, and it was not only comfy, but downright ugly.

A couple of months ago, my mom gave me a white canvas chair cover that didn’t fit any of her chairs. It did work on the Comfy Chair, but there was no way white was going to survive in my house. I decided to dye it brown.

Whit is a no no at my house.

White is a no no at my house.

I used Dylon Woodland Brown fabric dye, and I put the chair cover in my big dye pot. After rinsing and drying, I took the chair cover to the studio.

It 's great to have a really big dye pot!

It ‘s great to have a really big dye pot!

I began stamping leaf designs on it using DecoArt SoSoft fabric paints. It was easy and fun, but it’s a big chair cover and these are small leaf stamps, plus you have to let the paint dry before you can safely move the piece without smudging it. It took two months to finish.

Ready to go.

Ready to go.

Stamping, stamping, stamping.

Stamping, stamping, stamping.

It took about two months to complete.

It took about two months to complete.

But it is all done now! Just in time for the Comfy Chair to be taken out of the living room to make room for the Christmas tree.

It's done!

It’s done!

And the cats still love it.

And the cats still love it.